Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Service Day 3

Hello!  I ate something yesterday that made my stomach not very happy, so I wasn't able to blog last night.  I took some Nyquil and I was out like a light!  Today was a great day.  We started out with breakfast and conclave, as we do every morning, and then we split for the day's jobs.  Today, ours was tutoring the kids at the school.  Although it wasn't physically tiring, it was mentally tiring.  First of all, it's summer.  I'm not supposed to be using my brain for geometry in the middle of summer!  Second of all, we really had to use a bunch of energy to keep these kids motivated to read and do their math.  We started out reading a story and doing some worksheets with 3 kids one at a time.  They read about firefighters.  Then we went to the computer lab and helped 1 kid with their math on the computer.  My mom learned her roman numerals because she was helping a girl who was having a hard time with them, so I guess you could say that they learned them together.  She was so proud of herself.  I helped a kid with his geometry; reflection, translation, and rotation of triangles on a grid.  I love math, so I just had such a great time.  I'm dead serious.  Then we went back to the library and tutored more kids in reading.  The point of that is for them to practice their english; reading and writing.  When the kids had lunch, so did we.  So, me and my dad and Jake walked back to the Elephant house and made some Ramen noodles.  Mmmmm!  After lunch, guess what?  More tutoring!  We tutored about 10 kids throughout the whole day.  It was actually really fun.  The kids that we tutored were mostly little 5, 6, or 7 year olds, so they had super high voices.  Plus their Indian accents equals super cute!  I loved it.  

Free time is usually nap time for me, but my mom went and watched the dancers from BYU that are touring India this summer.  After free time, we had play time with the kids.  During that time, we spent it with our sponsor child Anu.  She is such a doll!  Then we had dinner back at the Elephant house.  We had rice and curry (big surprise!).  It is really tasty, though.  After dinner we went back to the hostels and me and my dad read to our "house".  A "house" is a group of either around 10 boys or girls.  My dad and I are assigned to a group of boys.  We read to them and try to calm them down and get them ready for bed.  Sadly, tonight it didn't really work.  I didn't see exactly what happened, but I heard a big thump, a bunch of boys were running into the next room, and the next thing I know, there is a little boy walking away with blood coming out of the back of his head.  I still don't know what happened or what the story is behind that.  

We have all been getting ready for bed, and I am starting to get sleepy.  I'm still not feeling 100%, so I think I might take another Nyquil tonight.  Goodnight/Good Morning! :) 

Our sponsor child, Anu

The School

Outside the Elephant House

Inside the Elephant House

Me and my dad in front of the school

Me and my Dad with Anu

My mom and my dad with Anu

Our family with Anu, and another little friend

Me pushing Anu on the swingset
Anu and her friend

Jake and some buddies





1 comment:

  1. what a fantastic adventure you're having...every post is fantastic! have a great time....

    ReplyDelete