Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Service Day 4

Well, today was another spectacular day!  As always, we started out our day with breakfast and morning conclave.  Our group was assigned to the colonies today, so we visited a different colony from Monday.  I wasn't sick today, so I actually got to go and see everything.  Even though I didn't do any actual medical stuff, I was able to help by giving out bags to the patients so they had something to carry their medicine in.  My mom and my dad washed feet and removed bandages.  Jake took blood pressure and glucose levels, again.  It was so fun to meet and really be with the leprosy afflicted people.  They are so sweet and they have good hearts.  They were so thankful for everything that we did.  

We finished at the leper colony really early, so we stopped at the zoo.  We saw a bunch of different animals that we wouldn't see in our zoo back home.  Some animals we saw were white tigers, giraffes, elephants, snakes, and hippopotamuses.  The zoo was huge, so we rented out a big "golf cart" that fit about 12 people on it, which was perfect, and we drove around the whole thing.  When we got back to the Rising Star campus, we had break time.  During that time, some people started on the mural that each session gets to paint on a section of the wall that borders the campus.  Ours is the picture of an elephant.  I will post a picture tomorrow when it is all finished.  Then it was play time with the kids.  It was the best because we brought a game for the kids to play, and they loved it.  (I will post a picture, because it's too hard to explain what they are).  We spent more time with Anu, our sponsor child.  We love her with all our hearts, and we wish we could just take her home with us.  She is just the sweetest thing you could ever imagine!  After play time, we had dinner.  As always, during dinner, we said our highs and lows about the day and talked about tomorrow.  Apparently, there's no school tomorrow.  I'm not sure why.  The government just decided to call tomorrow and Friday a holiday (a day off of school), so the kids will just play all day... except for their tutoring.  Since we were in the colonies today, we are tutoring tomorrow.  It will be a crazy day!

I really wish I could stay here a bit longer.  I really feel like I'm starting to love all of the kids, even though I don't know all of them personally.  They just come up to me and ask me my name and give me a big hug, and I just have so much love for them.  I will admit, I am a bit homesick, but we still have 5 days left, so I will make the best of it.  Tomorrow is our last day with the kids.  It will be sad to say goodbye to all of them, especially Anu.  But, that's what has to happen.

Another perfect day in India has ended.... Goodnight!

Jake and my dad in front of the Elephant House

Me in front of the leper colony

My mom and dad working away

The three nurses that we were helping at the leper colony

Our sweet little friend at the colony
The kids lining up for dinner
Me and Ashton (one of my roommates) in front
of the school (on the right)
Our group at the zoo
The game that we gave the kids.  It's a velcro pad with a ball
that sticks to the velcro.  You all know what these are, right?
The fearless woman in the snake cage

No comments:

Post a Comment